Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hardwired behavior becoming desensitized by the callousness of urban living.

I used to live and breathe country air,
With nothing in my heart but the sound
Of children running in a nearby park and
I remember being one of them.
It seems like months ago that I was there,
Rubbing my hands together intently as I
Attempted to cross those shaky bridges and
Make my way to the sandboxes beyond. But...

Now I concern myself with postmarked stamps,
Arrivals and departures in the nearby station
Where the trains always seem to meet at noon
To have their break then make their way out

Into the urban wastelands we call human civilization,
Where you walk down a street and hear millions upon
Millions of voices collectively becoming such discord
That we never know where one begins and one ends because

You see this is the meaning of a lack of harmony and
This is the very thing that disturbance of the soul represents.

It's all acquired behavior from television.
Nothing is innate, instinctual or natural anymore.
As these cities reach the ends of the earth
All I know is that we're losing the people we are.

I want to return to the fields,
To run in the sprinklers in the summer.
Just as soon as the sun hides
Itself behind the hills we find the end

To our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment